Loved the discussion with Dr. William Li on the Model Health Show podcast! Dr. Li lays out 5 key health defense systems that define optimal health. As always, Shawn Stevenson’s program is full of actionable items that we can take to improve our health right now. By the way, Dr. Li specifically mentions how shoring up our defense systems helps fight back against long COVID syndrome.
So here’s one tip to strengthen each health defense system as recommended by Dr. Li:
1)Angiogenesis: growth of new blood vessels to improve your circulation
- Tip: Eat 2 fresh fruits and 3 vegetables daily. Optimize this practice by including fruit peel in your fruit intake. A great way to increase fruit peel is by consuming dried fruit if your system can handle the sugar.
2) Boost your Stem Cells
- Tip: Dark chocolate (80% or higher) can double the number of stem cells in your blood stream
3) Healthy Microbiome
- Tip: Kiwi’s high fiber content. Eating 1 kiwi per day will “quickly start to change the number of your healthy gut bacteria.”
4) DNA self-repair
- Tip: Sunflower seeds slow down the degradation of DNA
5) Healthy immune system
- Tip: consume broccoli sprouts which contain 100x the immune-supporting compound called sulforaphane found in mature broccoli
Always a wealth of great info on the Model Health Show. Dr. William Li’s book is called Eat to Beat Disease: The New Science of How Your Body can Heal Itself